Traeger is a company that has been manufacturing world-class grills and smokers since the 1990s. Anyone who loves BBQs and hosting parties at home should invest in a Traeger grill. They are available in different designs, shapes, and features. Whether you are on a budget or you do not mind splurging, there is a model that will prove to be right for your needs.
Undecided on which one to buy? If you have no idea which will make the best choice, the rest of this post has got you covered. We will start with short Traeger Renegade Elite reviews and this will be followed by a discussion of how to choose. You will also learn more things about grills, including care and maintenance to maintain its peak performance.
Traeger Renegade Elite Reviews
In this section, we will have a brief discussion of the five models that should be part of your list. The table below summarizes some of the things that you can expect from each model. It will be followed by a more in-depth discussion of the notable features of each product.
Traeger TFB65LZBC Grills Texas Elite Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
Among others, versatility is one of the reasons why this is a product that is worth considering. It can provide the best bang for the buck as it can deliver six functions in one product. While it is mainly used as a grill, you can also use it for smoking, baking, braising, roasting, and barbequing.
The grill comes with a total usable area of 646 square inches. At this size, you will be able to grill nine racks of ribs, six chickens, or up to 24 burgers.
For portability, it comes with wheels equipped with rolling casters. This will make it easy to have it moved from one place to another since you do not have to carry it around. The wheels will make it easy to have it placed in a new location.
There are also many features that will guarantee its user-friendliness. For instance, there is an electronic auto-start ignition. All that you need to do is turn on the switch and the unit will start working on its own. There is also a digital controller for easy adjustments, which will also help to guarantee accuracy, especially when it comes to the temperature.
Similar to using the grill, having it cleaned and maintained will not also require too much on your part. One thing that makes this possible is the presence of porcelain grill that is easy to clean.
It is also exceptional in terms of durability, which is pretty much expected of a product that comes with a steep price. It is made of steel and is powder coated to make it longer lasting.
- Retains hot temperature for quick grilling
- Installation is quick to accomplish
- Durable construction
- Grill cover can be quite small
- Packaging can be better
Traeger TFB42LZBO Lil’Tex Elite Grill
This is another grill from Traeger that delivers a versatile functionality as it can be used in more ways than one. The total cooking area is 418 square inches, which is smaller compared to the model that has been mentioned above. If you have limited space at home and if you often cook only for a small group, such a size will be more than enough.
There is also a Digital Elite Controller. Plus, there is an LED display, making it easy to monitor the progress of its function. These features also ensure its ability to maintain the right temperature for consistent outputs.
Another feature that should be emphasized about this model is the EZ drain grease management system, which is also one of the reasons why it is easy to clean. There is a bucket on the side and this is where all the grease will be directed.
Meanwhile, the grill grate is made of porcelain. It is a good material in terms of being easy to clean. After using the grill, you do not need to be in a struggle when having it cleaned.
Inside the grill, there is a natural airflow, which is also great in terms of maintaining a hot temperature. Because of this, you can also use it for baking pizza, among others.
You also do not have to worry about the long-term costs as it is efficient. In fact, based on the manufacturer, under high heat, it will use only two pounds of pellet in an hour.
While the actual size of the grill is quite smaller, it is good to note that the hopper has a large capacity. To be specific, it can hold up to 18 pounds.
- Digital controller for ease of use
- Delivers multiple functions beyond grilling
- Effortless to clean
- Few reviews are available online
Traeger TFB42LZBC Lil’Tex Elite 22 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
In terms of features, this is almost similar to the first product that has been mentioned in this guide. When it comes to size, on the other hand, this is same with the product above, which is also small. It has a total cooking area of 418 square inches. This space is good enough for 16 burgers, five racks of ribs, and four whole chickens.
This is designed to use wood pellets that are exclusively made by Traeger. It is made from 100% hardwood and does not contain fillers or binders. This provides an amazing wood-fired flavor and aroma.
With a weight of 98 pounds, this is also pretty much easy to move around. To add, there are casters on the side for portability.
It is also a good thing that there is a small rack on the side, which will be good for keeping ingredients and grilling tools accessible. Nonetheless, it would have been better if this rack is bigger.
For ease of use, there is also a digital controller. All that you have to do is to choose the desired level of heat and turn the knob based on the temperature that is required. It will help improve precision when grilling, roasting, or smoking, among other functions.
Cleaning the grill will be almost effortless on your end, especially the grate. The latter is made of porcelain. Grease and dirt will not easily get stuck on the surface. You will need to spend less time cooking and more time enjoying the grill.
- Easy to start
- Maintains consistent level of heat
- Control is easy to adjust to set temperature
- Cooking area is a bit small
- Paint coating can easily peel
Traeger Grills Tailgater 20 Portable Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
Another top option from Traeger, it has a small cooking space, which is only 300 square inches. As per the specification from the manufacturer, this will be enough space for three racks of ribs, two whole chickens, 12 burgers, and 18 hotdogs.
The small size can also be an advantage, especially when it comes to space-efficiency and portability. As the name implies, this is the perfect choice for tailgating. It has folding legs, which will significantly reduce its size. It is compact when folded, making it easy to have it transported wherever you want to grill.
This is also a multifunctional tool to have at home. Aside from grilling, you can also use it for smoking, roasting, and baking, among others. For sure, this will be a versatile grilling companion that you can easily bring with you in different places.
Like most of the grills from Traeger Renegade Elite series, it is also equipped with a digital controller, which will allow you to make precise temperature adjustments. It will maintain the temperature at +/- 20 degrees. The maximum temperature that you can set is 450 degrees. To add, there is also a LED display, which will make it easy to monitor the current temperature. All that you have to do is to turn the dial to be able to set it at the desired temperature.
The overall construction of the grill is also impressive, which is expected from a company with a solid reputation. All parts are made of high-quality materials, which will be instrumental in making it a long-lasting investment.
- Porcelain grate is easy to clean
- Space-saving design
- Comes with an affordable price
- Cooking area is a bit small
- Instructions provided are vague
Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
Similar to the grill that has been mentioned above, it also has a total cooking area of 300 square inches. This can be a two-edged sword. It can be excellent in terms of portability, but this also means that it is perfect only if you are grilling for a small group. Otherwise, the grill will be cramped.
It also has the Digital Elite Controller, one thing that can be found in the five products that have been mentioned in this post. The latter allows you to make easy and precise temperature adjustments depending o the requirements of whatever it is that you are cooking.
Tired of having a hard time cleaning grates? You will have another good reason to choose this product over its competitors. It has porcelain grate that will require minimal effort when it comes to cleaning, and hence, you can spend most of your time grilling and smoking.
The steel construction of the grill is also worth noting, which is even made better by the fact that it is also powder coated. Even through the years, you can expect that it will not be easily prone to wear and tear.
The electronic ignition is also worth highlighting. This is one more thing that you can find in a lot of Traeger grills. With the latter, there is no need to light a stick. Instead, just push the button and it will automatically fire on its own.
Lastly, it is also a well-loved product because of using 100% hardwood pellets, which will be beneficial in achieving an authentic and smoky flavor.
- Affordable price
- Made of long-lasting materials
- Temperature is easy to set and adjust
- LED display can be problematic
- Takes quite a while to reach desired temperature
About Traeger Pellet Grills
Traeger is one of the first brands of pellet grills to have been introduced in the market, which also explains why it is one of the most favored globally. The company is from Canada, but their grills are enjoying unprecedented quality because of its innovative features.
To use a Traeger grill, there is a hopper that needs to be filled with the right amount of pellet depending on its capacity of what you will cook. From the hopper, it will travel through the auger and will burn. The rate at which this happens will be dependent on the temperature that has been set. The hotter it is, the quicker is the burn rate. If you are smoking and not grilling, choose a slower burn rate so that it will end up being more flavorful.
The grills from Traeger are from different categories. Those that have been mentioned in this post, however, are from the Renegade Elite Series. They are usually smaller than the others. They share common features, such as a digital Elite controller, all-terrain wheels, hopper clean-out door, and a tool caddy.
Benefits of a Pellet Grill
If there is one thing that is common in the products that have been mentioned above, it would be that they are all wood pellet grills, but they are also versatile as they can be used for smoking and braising, among others. That being said, here are some of the benefits of having a pellet grill:
- Delicious Flavor: One of the best things about using pellets is that they provide food with a unique taste. It will have a smoky or woody flavor, which is sure to tickle your taste buds. In traditional barbeques, the flavor tends to be weaker.
- Customization: With a wood pellet grill, you will have the option to customize the flavor, depending on how strong you want the smokiness to be. This will be based on the amount of the pellets that will be used when grilling or smoking.
- Easy to Use: For those who do not have the time to deal with complications, a pellet grill will prove to be a perfect choice. All that you have to do is set and you can forget it. There is no need to be there throughout the entire process.
- Some pellet grills can be expensive, especially the high-end options from Traeger. Nonetheless, they can provide excellent value for money because they can deliver multiple functions, including smoking, braising, and baking, among other things.
- Consistent Results. Consistency will also provide you with a good reason to favor pellet grills. Every time that it is used, with the right setting, you can expect that the results will remain consistent.
Essential Factors to Consider
Choosing a pellet grill is not as easy as picking one that comes with a low price. It is important to be responsible enough to differentiate the possibilities. To easily narrow down the choices, these are some of the most important things that you have to take into account.
While it is called a pellet grill, keep in mind that it is not created to merely grill. Traeger is known for making multifunctional products, which is why many people are more than willing to spend money for something that can bring multiple uses.
When trying to decide which one to buy, look at the functions of the grill. Many of them can also be used for smoking and braising. Some are designed even for baking. The more functions there are on a grill, the more useful it will be.
Ease of Use
The thought of grilling can be exciting. For some people, however, they are too lazy to do this. This is not one thing that can be easily done. From the preparation of the meat to the actual grilling, it can possibly be quite a while. With this, look for features that will prove that the grill is as user-friendly as possible.
One of the most important is having electric ignition. Traditionally, you will need a lighter to set the grill on fire. With the newer models, on the other hand, there is no need to do so. There is a button and all that you need to do is to have it pressed for the unit to start producing heat.
The control should also be strategically-positioned and it must be easy to enter the desired functions of heat setting. For instance, in the case of the products that have been mentioned above, there is a dial that will allow users to choose the required temperature.
It will also be good if there is a digital LED display. This will show the specific temperature that is being produced by the grill, allowing you to monitor the heat. This allows you to ensure the right outcomes and prevents the food from being burnt.
Ease of Cleaning
Through the years, it is inevitable that the Traeger grill will be prone to wear and tear. To retain its peak condition through the years, pick a product that is easy to clean and maintain. It should be made of materials that will require effortless cleaning. Having a grease management system will also help to minimize mess that is produced when you are grilling.
A Traeger grill is an investment and it can be expensive, depending on the specific model that you will choose. You need to pick one that can offer longevity, despite frequent use. The first thing that you have to do is to look at the materials that are used. They must be able to prevent rust and corrosion, among other external damages that can lessen the functionality and performance of the unit.
The products that have been mentioned above are made of solid steel, which can definitely withstand the test of time. They are even powder-coated, which will make them longer-lasting. To add, their grates are made of porcelain, which is effortless to clean, making it easy as well for it to last longer.
In most cases, you will buy a Traeger grill to be fixed on the patio and used when you are hosting gatherings at home, such as intimate dinners with family and friends. Nonetheless, there are also some situations wherein you would want to use it outdoors, such as when camping and tailgating. Given this, you should also consider portability.
To be easily portable, the unit needs to have wheels so that you can easily have it moved around. The wheels should be lockable so that you can keep it in a steady position when it is not being moved. To add, it should also be made of lightweight materials. Having folding feet is also good as it will make it space-efficient for ease of transport.
Especially if it is your first time to buy a Traeger Renegade Elite Grill, you will most probably be confused with the choices that are available. This should not be a reason for you to decide in haste. You have to look at online reviews. The real-life experiences that are shared by past users will be helpful to narrow down your choices.
Like in the case of buying other products, looking at the extent of the warranty is also important because it can provide you with peace of mind. A longer warranty is always better, because this means that you will be able to rely on the support from the manufacturer as they guarantee that the product will be free from defects and problems with craftsmanship within a certain period.
However, you need to follow the terms and conditions specified by the manufacturer so that you will be eligible for the warranty. Otherwise, it can be voided, especially when the problem is a result or your negligence or improper use.
Care and Maintenance for Traeger Renegade Elite Grills
Aside from the careful selection of the Traeger grill to purchase, it is also important that you pay attention to proper care and maintenance. With this, here are some of the best things that you can do:
- You need to perform a regular inspection and deep cleaning of the grill at least once every six months. Remove the build-up on the chimney, which will improve temperature regulation. This is also necessary for the safety of the grill.
- To be specific, you have to start by running the grill in a high setting for ten minutes. Use a bristled brush to clean the grate. Turn off the unit and clean the other parts. You should also replace the foil in the drip pan, which will prevent fire hazards.
- If there are parts that are worn down, consider having them replaced as soon as possible. The longer they are ignored, the more that the performance of the grill will most likely suffer.
- For grills that are left outdoors, such as in the patio, it will help to use a cover, which will provide the protection that is needed from external elements, such as rain and durst, among other things that can cause potential damage. If the grill won’t be used for a long time, keep it in the storage room.
- In most cases, using a dish soap, warm water, and sponge will be more than enough for its periodic maintenance. Steel wool and metal brushes should be avoided as they can cause irreparable scratches.
Tips for Using Traeger Renegade Elite Grills
To make the most out of the grill and to be assured of the best outcomes, these are some of the things that you have to keep in mind:
- Choose the right setting depending on the intended function. For instance, based on the recommendations from Traeger, for smoking, 160 to 200 degrees Fahrenheit will be more than enough. Choosing the wrong setting can compromise flavor and aroma.
- Use only the recommended wood pellets. Traeger is manufacturing their own pellets and these are the only ones that you will use. Their pellets are made from 100% natural wood, which guarantees the best flavor. It is also 100% natural.
- Cook with the lid closed. This is to be able to trap the heat inside the unit, which is important to cook faster since heat will not be able to skip. To add, this is also going to trap the smoke for enhanced flavor.
- When the unit is running and you have to add pellets, do not do it by hand. This can pose a significant safety risk. It will be best to power off the unit, allow it to cool for a while, and after this, you can and the desired amount of pellets.
- If you are cooking during a cold weather, as a rule of thumb, you need to extend the cooking time by up to 20 minutes. This is going to make it possible to generate the level of heat that is required.
- Take a look at the grill before you cook and see to it that it is free of grease and soot. They can affect the safety of your grilling experience and the flavor of whatever it is that you will be grilling or smoking.
- At the end of the day, the most important is to refer to the instructions from the manufacturer. Religiously follow the steps that are provided to have a guarantee that the outcomes will nothing be short of what you have anticipated.
- Another important tip is to choose the right type of the hardwood pellets that will be used. Traeger supplies their own pellets and I advise that you buy only from them. The right choice of pellet will be based on what you will cook.
- Beef: Almost all types of pellets will work for it, including alder, cherry, and hickory.
- Pork: For a more flavorful recipe that makes use of pork, apple, pecan, and maple are some of the best choices.
- Chicken: Meanwhile, if you are cooking chicken, some of the best pellets are mesquite, cherry, and apple.
- Seafood: To add a robust smoky and woody flavor to your seafood dishes, mesquite, oak, and alder are some of the best pellets to use.
After reading the short Traeger Renegade Elite reviews above, I hope that you can now make the right decision. The five products mentioned above should be on the top of your list. They have high-quality construction, versatile functionality, and user-friendly features. If there is one thing that makes them different, it would be their size.
At the end of the day, do not be tempted to choose a grill only because it is affordable. Personally, I would not hesitate to spend more if this is going to translate into enjoying the best quality. While Traeger is known for this, their models have various features that should be looked at to help you make a decision that won’t bring regrets.